Thursday 16 August 2012

How to host a Grubby Garden Party

Last year my 4 year old son wanted a Garden Party. The only guidance he gave me was that it had to be 'awesome'.

This was what I came up with.


I made the invitations using craft paper fashioned into a caterpillar, loosely based on "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" book.



I set up two trestle tables outside. One was the planting table which was to be the main activity of the party. On this I put together individual gardening sets for each guest which consisted of a green tin bucket [which would become their take home party 'bag'], terracotta plant pot, spade and gardening gloves. In the centre of the table I put tubs of garden soil [not potting mix because of the dangers] and some planting stakes with their names on them.


The other table was set in green and yellow with a strip of fake lawn down the middle. I used disposable bamboo bowls to put in a selection of treats inspired by "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" book. I also found a whole lot of bug lollies and plastic toy bugs to decorate the table with.


I bought two gorgeous watering cans and washed them and filled one with water and one with cordial. The kids LOVED these [so did the parents!]


I had a whole lot of gorgeous garden type stickers that the kids decorated their pots with. Then each guest was asked to choose a plant from the selection of flowers and trees I had bought on sale at Bunnings. With the help of their parents, they potted their own plants into their decorated pots and topped them with some little pebbles I picked up from Cheap as Chips.


Then we played "Pin the Bee on the Flower". Each contestant had to wear the bee hat to play!



Making these bugcakes was the most time consuming part of the party for me! I scoured books to find ideas for ladybugs, bumble bees, spiders, butterflies, snails and worms with wings. They had serious WOW factor enjoyed by kids and grown ups alike.




I matched the birthday cake to the invitation and it was a dozen oversized cupcakes with the tops cut off and iced in two shades of green. I covered a plastic platter with fake grass and used black jelly beans as the feet.
The kids had such a great time and it was a good party for girls and boys. They each took home their plants, spade, gloves and I filled their green tin buckets with lollies at the end too.

The best part? I got the 'tick of awesome' from BOTH my boys at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment